Thursday 27 November 2014

Rosie's marathon journey

Frank Shorter, 1972 US Olympic marathon gold medallist, once said:
"You have to forget your last marathon before you try another. Your mind can't know what's coming."
So what it is that motivates some people to put their bodies through such extreme physical endurance? Rosie ran the 2014 Brighton Marathon for Quest4Change. She's shared with us here her highs and her lows; her motivations and reflections on taking on such a challenge.

Rosie Thomson | 2013 Tanzania Volunteer | 2014 Brighton Marathon Finisher

"I was lucky enough to travel to Tanzania with Quest last year, spending the summer as a volunteer at the Frederick Sumaye Secondary school in Babati. I have incredible memories of what turned out to be the most productive, rewarding and inspiring experience of my life so far. 

Our team worked alongside local Fundis to build a kitchen block for the school, all the while witnessing Quest’s unparalleled ability to ensure that the community has all the resources and knowledge they need to sustain the projects permanently.


Since then, I've followed Quest4Change’s progress and always been on the lookout for ways that I might be able to make a difference from the UK. As a permanently penniless student I've sometimes felt somewhat powerless to make a substantial contribution, and so when I heard that Quest had a place free in the 2014 Brighton Marathon it seemed a perfect opportunity.

It was early in January and I’d been half-heartedly making plans to get into shape for the New Year anyway. I filled out the application form and whizzed it off, breezily thinking that it was four whole months away and only twenty six little miles to manage. A few days and some serious contemplation later, the enormity of what I’d taken on hit me like a brick! 

Completing a marathon (Google reassuringly told me) is no small feat and as a sporadic exerciser and serial under-user of a very dusty gym membership, I had a feeling I’d bitten off a little more than I could (and should safely be attempting to) chew.


Getting myself marathon ready in under four months was a slightly crazy mission, but the thought of all the amazing people I had met in Babati gave me the motivation I needed. Volunteering with Quest had (not to sound completely cheesy) made me realise that I was capable of achieving so much more than I’d thought and completing a marathon seemed an apt continuation of this spirit. I was determined!

So although considerably lacking in the technical department, with no anti-chafe leggings or ultra-cushioned breathable micro-fibre ‘trainer-liners’ to my name, I started to run. I ran six times a week, whether I felt like it or not. I made a rule that I could do as little as I wanted, as long as I went. That got me out the door, even on the darkest and rainiest of evenings, and in effect took care of the biggest challenge. Following a disciplined training schedule is definitely recommended procedure, but for me it helped to completely simplify the huge mountain in my mind and think: all I have to do is run. I’d repeat it over and over as I hurtled (a terrifying sight/forerunner in hi-vis fashion depending on your perspective) through the streets: just. run.

Despite being committed, I remained completely and utterly terrified as the day drew closer, convinced that I’d started too late, been too random with my training and unprofessional with my choice of gear. I stood at the start line watching all the super toned, energy-gel laden athletes stretching like they’d finish this quicker than you could say ‘over-training’ (an apparently common problem that I had definitely not had to confront). All in all, I felt my chances of actually completing it were slim.


So, tentatively, I started. The first mile was good, so was the second. All the way to mile ten was relatively breezy. I made it to the portaloos at mile fourteen pretty much unscathed.  I decided to reward myself with a short walking break post-loo stop, merrily unaware as I tinkled away that this would be a PIVOTAL MOMENT!! Because as I started walking, I realised that my body really really didn't want to let me. Running was ok, but BOY did walking feel weird. That was when I knew I had a choice: hobble the whole of the second half and probably never finish, or run, run, run and do not stop. So I ran. 

It was hard and horrible and I wanted to murder whoever had invented competitive sport at brief moments, but I did it. I finished in four and a half hours, which by running standards is not ground breaking and not horrendous, but by my personal standards was bloody amazing!


The best thing was that, the people I met at the finish line seemed remarkably different to those at the start. My perspective had shifted and I realised how many were people I could relate to, who had been inspired by an experience and quite enjoyed running and put the two things together to hopefully make some sort of a small difference somewhere, for someone. 

There were all the Macmillan runners, a lot of whom had been affected by cancer in some way, and Karen and her two best friends who ran it together every single year, and there was Alex’s dad who ran it pushing Alex in his wheelchair the whole way. 

Behind all the shiny running gear and energy drinks/bars/gelly things I found some really great people raising a lot of worthwhile money. So if you have a vague notion that you might like to run a marathon (or maybe half) for Quest then I’d say dust off that gym membership and do it: you do not have to be super athletic by any stretch of the imagination. A motivating cause and a little determination (Beyonce playlist optional but heavily recommended) really are all you need!"

No comments: